Just a few words from the Introduction of the Second Vatican Council’s Decree on Ecumenism Unitatis Redintegratio issued on 21st November 1964:
The restoration of unity among all Christians is one of the principal concerns of the Second Vatican Council. Christ the Lord founded one Church and one Church only. However, many Christian communions present themselves to men as the true inheritors of Jesus Christ; all indeed profess to be followers of the Lord but differ in mind and go their different ways, as if Christ Himself were divided. Such division openly contradicts the will of Christ, scandalizes the world, and damages the holy cause of preaching the Gospel to every creature.
But the Lord of Ages wisely and patiently follows out the plan of grace on our behalf, sinners that we are. In recent times more than ever before, He has been rousing divided Christians to remorse over their divisions and to a longing for unity. Everywhere large numbers have felt the impulse of this grace, and among our separated brethren also there increases from day to day the movement, fostered by the grace of the Holy Spirit, for the restoration of unity among all Christians. This movement toward unity is called "ecumenical." Those belong to it who invoke the Triune God and confess Jesus as Lord and Saviour, doing this not merely as individuals but also as corporate bodies. For almost everyone regards the body in which he has heard the Gospel as his Church and indeed, God's Church. All however, though in different ways, long for the one visible Church of God, a Church truly universal and set forth into the world that the world may be converted to the Gospel and so be saved, to the glory of God.
Our Lady of Lourdes Community has a long and good relationship with other Christian communities in Sawston and the surrounding areas. In 2018, it is suggested that we would do the following programme:
- Celebration of the Octave of Prayer for Christian Unity at OLOL Church at 3pm on Sunday 21st January.
- Meeting at OLOL Presbytery: Revd. Bruce Waldron (Sawston Free Church - SFC), Revd. Alan Partridge, Church of England - St. Mary’s Church - SMC) and Fr. John at 3pm on Wednesday 24th January.
- ‘Observer(s)’ at SMC on their proposed 3-year Partnership for Missional Church on 24th February.
- Annual Walk of Witness on Good Friday 30th March.
- Shared lunch at 12.30 on Holy Trinity Sunday 27th May at SFC.
- Shared harvest lunch at SMC on Sunday 14th October.
- Annual celebration of Remembrance Sunday 11th November.
- Retreat at 3pm on Christ the King Sunday 25th November with tea at 5pm at OLOL, and 6.30pm Praise Service at SFC.
And whenever we attend Mass, we pray for Peace and Unity:
Priest: Lord Jesus Christ, who said to your Apostles, Peace I leave you, my peace I give you, look not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church, and graciously grant her peace and unity in accordance with your will. Who live and reign for ever and ever.